3 local propositions up for consideration
After early voting ended Friday, Hopkins County residents will have their last chance to cast their vote on 10 state constitutional amendments and various local propositions Tuesday, Nov. 5.
For Sulphur Springs residents, Proposition A will authorize the City of Sulphur Springs to borrow money from the Sulphur Springs-Hopkins County Economic Development Corporation at the rate of $200,000 a year over the next 20 years to construct a new Pacific Park and Senior Activities Center.
Residents living within the Cumby Independent School District will have the chance to vote on a $6.2 million bond for improvements to school buildings and athletic facilities.
Cumby residents will pick between two mayoral candidates: Doug Simmerman and Ryan Horne. Simmerman is the current Cumby major pro tempore and has lived in the community for 27 years. Horne is seeking office for the first time, and he has lived in Cumby for three years.
The state constitutional amendments handle the following: holding more than one office as municipal judge, bonds for the Texas Water Development Board, tax exemption for disaster-struck areas, prohibiting an individual state income tax, redirecting sports goods tax to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and Texas Historical Commission, increasing the funds to the available school fund, creation of a flood infrastructure fund, taxes on precious metals and transfer of law enforcement animals to qualified caretakers.
The following are the 2019 voting centers for each precinct:
• 1 — Lutheran Church, 1000 Texas
Street, Sulphur Springs
• 2A — Morning Chapel Missionary
Baptist Church, 208 Fuller Street,
• 3 — Courthouse, 118 Church Street,
• 3A — Grace Family Church in the
Fellowship Hall, 1901 Loop 301
East, Sulphur Springs
• 4 — Civic Center, 1200 Houston Street, Sulphur Springs
• 4A — League Street Church of Christ in the front foyer, 1100 South League, Sulphur Springs
• 5 — Saltillo ISD in the Ag Lab, 150 County Road 3534, Saltillo
• 11 — Cumby Municipal Building in the City Meeting Room, 100 East Main Street, Cumby
• 12 — Sulphur Bluff ISD, 1027 County Road 3550, Sulphur Springs
• 13 — Como-Pickton ISD in the Art Room, 13017 Highway 11 East, Como
• 16 — Miller Grove ISD in the foyer outside of gym, 7819 FM 275 South, Cumby
• 17 — North Hopkins ISD in the Administrative Building, 1994 FM 71 West, Sulphur Springs