Tarrant: The first county seat

  • A historical marker on State Highway 19 approximately 4.5 miles north of Sulphur Springs next to the Old Tarrant Church and Cemetery marks the site of Hopkins County’s original county seat. The county seat moved to Sulphur Springs in 1871. Courtesy
    A historical marker on State Highway 19 approximately 4.5 miles north of Sulphur Springs next to the Old Tarrant Church and Cemetery marks the site of Hopkins County’s original county seat. The county seat moved to Sulphur Springs in 1871. Courtesy
  • Old Tarrant Cemetery off State Highway 19 north was first indexed in the 1970s with earliest known graves dating back to the 1820s. Courtesy/Nicolas Henderson via Albert Herring
    Old Tarrant Cemetery off State Highway 19 north was first indexed in the 1970s with earliest known graves dating back to the 1820s. Courtesy/Nicolas Henderson via Albert Herring
In the early 1810s, Hopkins County was a grassy plain that stretched with plentiful soils on either side of the South Sulphur River. Wild grapes and wilder hogs abounded, and deer roamed the woods where cattle would one day graze. In 1815, a man named Hezekiah Hargrave, his wife, Suzanna, and their 10 children hitched their wagon load from Indiana and headed south to a new land called Texas. …

Premium Content is available to subscribers only. Please login here to access content or go here to purchase a subscription.