Runoff for Place 1 set for Dec. 15
The Sulphur Springs city council inducted members and completed business at a special Nov. 17 meeting.
After convening at noon, Mayor John Sellers presented the results of the Nov. 3 election to the council:
- Sulphur Springs City Council Place 1:
- Julian W. Julian- 43.67% (1,943 votes)
- Mark Bradley- 24.61% (1,095 votes)
- Vanessa Diosdado- 22.75% (1,012 votes)
- Justin Brown- 8.97% (399 votes)
- Sulphur Springs City Council Place 2: Harold Nash received 4,242 to retain his seat
- Sulphur Springs City Council Place 3: Oscar Aguilar received 4,437 to retain his seat.
- Sulphur Springs City Council Place 5:
- Gary Spraggins- 71.24% (3,206 votes)
- Ricardo Chavarria- 28.76% (1,294 votes)
The council unanimously certified the canvas.
Spraggins is scheduled to take oath of office and complete anti-bribery documentation at the next regularly scheduled council meeting on Dec. 8, according to Sellers.
Sellers congratulated Spraggins, who has served on council before, and said he “re-welcomed” Nash and Aguilar as well.
Because no candidate for city council place 1 secured more than 50% of the vote, a runoff election between the top two candidates (Julian and Bradley) will take place on Dec. 15, city secretary and election officer Gale Roberts reported.
Early voting will be conducted from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Dec. 3-4, Dec. 7, Dec. 9 and Dec. 11; and from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Dec. 8 and Dec. 10. All voting in the Place 1 City Council Runoff will be conducted in the second floor conference room inside Sulphur Springs Municipal Building, 201 North Davis St.
Sellers wished Julian and Bradley luck in their runoff, and stated he looks forward to a full, seven-person council.
With no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 12:19 p.m.