Suspected counterfeit currency leads to 2 arrests
Police responded to a call from the Primo’s Tire Shop on Interstate 30 at 1:10 p.m. Sunday that a customer had allegedly attempted to pay for services using counterfeit money.
Police arrested Nathan Daniel Cain, 36, of Athens after locating him at the business and conducting a pat-down search, which allegedly revealed counterfeit money in his pockets, police said. Police also arrested Michael Lynn Emery, 37, of Mount Pleasant, who they located in the nearby area at League and Pampa streets and advised had been in Cain’s company, reports read.
Upon contact with Emery, police said he appeared to be nervous, and when they asked if he had anything illegal, he allegedly advised he had marijuana in a black box. A probable cause search found marijuana and suspected methamphetamine, police said, with a weight of approximately 7 grams.
Cain was booked in on two charges of forgery. Emery was booked in on charges of possession of a schedule one controlled substance from 4 to 200 grams in a drugfree zone, as he had been found less than 1,000 feet from Sulphur Springs Elementary School, according to reports.
Cain remains in jail on $60,000 worth of bonds, and Emery remains in jail on $25,000 worth of bonds.
• Two callers reported a vehicle vs deer crash at 7:31 a.m. on Friday on FM 2560 north of County Road 2322 in Como with the roadway clear and no injuries;
• A caller at 10:56 a.m. on Friday reported a large black bull standing in the roadway at State Highway 67 in Saltillo;
• A caller at 2:41 p.m. reported a large black bull running down the roadway near State Highway 275 South near the interstate in Cumby; and
• Two callers at 7:09 a.m. reported a motorcycle vs. deer crash on State Highway 19 south.
• A caller reported a vehicle was stolen from the State Highway 11 construction job site near Briarwood and left at Red River Credit Union at 7:32 a.m. on Friday and an incident for unauthorized use of a motor vehicle was created;
• A caller at 3:43 p.m. on Friday reported a small grass fire in Miller Grove near County Road 1118 that wasn’t near any structures but was spreading;
• Two callers at 7:06 a.m. reported a fire at the pallet place near the 141 mile marker of Interstate 30 and were told it was a controlled burn; and
• Three callers reported a grass fire near the church on County Road 1176 in Arbala at 2:42 p.m. on Sunday.