150 years, 4 buildings, 1 congregation

Subhead

Through multiple changes, First Christian Church still going strong

  • The recognizable “fish” stained glass art that adorns the Davis-street facing facade of the First Christian Church was constructed in 1962. Staff photo by Taylor Nye
    The recognizable “fish” stained glass art that adorns the Davis-street facing facade of the First Christian Church was constructed in 1962. Staff photo by Taylor Nye
  • A historical marker for the First Christian Church in Sulphur Springs is installed just outside the current church building on Davis Street. File
    A historical marker for the First Christian Church in Sulphur Springs is installed just outside the current church building on Davis Street. File
In the 1850s, the town known as “The Sulphur Springs” was just beginning to coalesce. It was what would become Hopkins County’s third town, after Sulphur Bluff and Tarrant. Early pioneer life had religion as one of its pillars, and residents of the new town would meet at homes and vacant stores to study the gospel. In 1870, Revs. Charles Carlton and J.M. Baird organized one of the city’s first…

Premium Content is available to subscribers only. Please login here to access content or go here to purchase a subscription.